Monday, September 10, 2012

Happy Birthday!! with a side of pain.

We were just down in Portland to do a surprise party for my dad!!  Tomorrow is his 70th birthday!!  That doesn't seem right... but it is.  I think he is healthier than the rest of us and I think he doesn't look anything like what I picture a 70 year old to look like.  Of course that might be because he is still 69.

We decided to try to pull off a surprise party.  Notice the word try!  My dad somehow always knows when something is going on.  He just has a sixth sense about it.  Kind of irritating.  It steals your thunder.  Anyway...we thought we'd done a pretty good job.

We told him Dave had to visit a client in Longview (he does, just not that day) and since Noah didn't have a football game (he did), we thought we'd come stay for the weekend.  We find out now that my dad thought Dave's reason was not believable.  But he was happy to play along and go golfing for a few hours.

We had around 60 people show up to surprise him.  My brother and nephews even flew out to surprise him.  That part did!  At least we kept something from him.  :)

We ordered his favorite BBQ.  We had their beach friends make homemade ice cream, which was D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.  You have to spell it out and savor the word just like the ice cream.  Plus there was cake, cheesecake and apple pie.  All sorts of yum.  Over all I think he had a wonderful time.

We even sang him a birthday song it goes like this to the tune of Tra la la boom de ay.....This is your birthday song!  It isn't very long!    

It got a big laugh from my dad and everyone else.

So I guess you are asking, what is this pain thing about?  Well I'll tell you.  While getting ready for the party, I was taking a vegetable platter out of the fridge and somehow hit a bottle of apple juice.  Yes I know that doesn't sound very painful.  The apple juice didn't feel a thing.

Well it was on the top shelf and decided to do a perfect 10 dive, cap first, onto my right foot, which happened to only be wearing a flip flop.  It probably wouldn't have hurt so much if it had not been full or landed on a side or something, but it hit my foot straight on.  I'm pretty good at handling pain.  One of the ice cream masters (Dale) was in there with me and said "it's a good thing that didn't land on your foot.  That would have hurt."  I thought he was joking with me.  But I guess I go to a quiet inner place when dealing with pain, because he was surprised when I told him it had landed on my foot.

So anyway I limped around a little bit.  Then put some ice on it.  Then realized one of the guests at the party was  a Podiatrist.  So he took a look at my foot and declared it a Perfect Hematoma.  We are getting perfect scores all around.  He said it didn't appear to be broken, but keep an eye on it.  So it is all good, but very bruised.  It makes me look like my foot is dirty.  It does hurt a bit when I put shoes on, so flip flops it is.
And today my toes are now blue.  But so long as it's not broken and I can get around then Yay!!  I'm happy.

Besides it gives me an excuse to have my kids wait on me.  Is that mean?  I think it's only fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment