Monday, May 2, 2011

Pinewood Derby

This year for the pinewood derby both Noah and I had things to do. Noah had to make a super cool car and I had to make treats for the whole sha-bang. I think Noah's was more fun, and looked cooler too. Although mine tasted good.

Noah decided he wanted to do a shark for his car this year. Last year he did a pterodactyl head. Noah is definitely creative. So Dave helped him cut out the shark and Noah did all the sanding and gluing of the fins. Then it was time for paint. Dave and Noah went and got all the paint and weights they needed and Dave went to work on the paint job. I think Noah had gone to bed. Maybe not. But to quote Dave and to give myself a little chuckle. "It looks like I murdered a smurf." Yep an irridencent one. I think he looks a little avatarish.



This is Noah just about to start the detail work. See that red paint? That is the notorious red paint from the previous post of Abigail's adventures.







Working on the sharks mouth. Noah is such a great little artist. He is really good with the details. I guess I said that already but he really tries to get even the littlest things.




A little better pic of my talented boy working. The finished product had gills and water stripes on the back. Such a great imagination.



The way the derby works is there is a track they race down. It has an electronic finish so you know who won. There is also a staring line that lets the cars go at the same time. They do a double elimination so each boy gets to race his car at least 2 times. After they finish the regular races they do a backwards race. The boys love it. It is craziness. So while all the racing was going I was getting the treats ready. With a bit of help from Dave. I had 100 chocolate chip cookies, 100 bags of popcorn, and 100+ caramel rice crispy treats.


Yes I did bake the cookies. I didn't make them, I used Otis Spunkmeyer cookies from Costco. Delicious. Then I popped around 32 bags of microwave popcorn. I didn't want to have to deal with butter and salt. Last I did make my rice crispy treats. They are pretty yummy. So we gave everyone there tickets like at a carnival with the letters R C P on them. The letters stand for the first letter of each treat. Rice, Cookie Popcorn. Makes sense. Although everytime I see RCP I think of my friends from high shcool and that we called ourselves the Rose City Posse but that's a whole other story. It worked really well because what kid doesn't like tickets.


So we had lots of goodies and lots of races. Sadly Noah's car didn't win any races but it was by far the coolest car there. He really didn't care that he didn't win, he was all about the craftsmanship, which was the award he won.

Noah with his award and car. Look at the spectacular writing on that certificate. Yep I wrote on all the certificates. There was no way I was doing last names. Besides I don't think I know all the last names.

It was a great night and a family effort. Glad it's over for another year. I'm sure Noah is already planning what he wants to do next year.




2 comments:

  1. What a proud mama you must be! Loved his pinewood derby car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool car Noah- looks like you have another artist in the fam:)

    ReplyDelete