Sunday, March 20, 2011

I thought I could read music

Today I had my first experience ever being the primary chorister at church. It consists of leading the singing for both the younger kids (3-6) and the older kids (7-11). I had 15 minutes for each group. Not too bad.

I grew up singing these songs. I thought I knew the words. Better yet I thought I knew the melodies. Holy cow batman... Where oh where has my little mind gone? Where oh where could it be?

I had to keep checking back at the book to see the words. I think they changed them. I'm pretty sure they are different from when I learned them. Ok it's just been a really long time since I've sung them.

I am not a fan of singing in front of people. I don't have that great of a voice. I think that's why I play instruments. Still musical just in a different less voice cracking off pitch sort of way. For the most part the song time went really well. The kids sang loud and participated. They did the arm motions (which of course I couldn't remember). I did the arm motions to lead the music. Sort of. At one point I thought the song seemed off and realized I was conducting in 4/4 time and the song was written in 3/4 time. Wow, senior moment there or really in my case brain fart.

But really I'm pretty proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new. I will probably say yes to subbing again. Of course all of the other leaders stroking my ego and telling me I did a great job, probably helped that a little too.

1 comment:

  1. You rock...and I can't remember them very well either...They really did change some of the words in some of the songs.

    ReplyDelete