Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Going to the dentist

I took all the kids to the dentist the other day. Ok not all of them. Abby proceeded to be awful in the waiting room, waiting. I guess awful isn't the right word. She was very happy and energetic and loud. So for a mom in a quiet waiting room awful.

I remember going to the dentist as a kid..... now I'm done remembering. It wasn't bad, I had a great dentist, and usually no cavities. I think I got my first one in Jr. High School. So not too bad. I blame the braces.

I had to take Noah to the dentist for the first time in Utah when he almost knocked out a tooth falling in the tub. It turned brown and was sad. Then it went white again. Weird. That was a normal dentist.

In Arkansas I had to take Jacob to a dentist because he fell into a toy box and almost knocked out his top front teeth. They were ok, but he cut his gums up so bad he almost needed stitches. That doctor we went to was a pediatric dentist. I didn't know they had such things. I wish my boys were older so they could have enjoyed the experience that is a pediatric dentist. Toys and games and lots of books. Fun music. Bright colors.

Then we moved to Oregon and I never once took them to the dentist. Shame on me. I know.

So here we are now in Eagle, Idaho. Guess what I found here. Another pediatric dentist. This office has video games, movies playing in a space ship and above every dentist chair? A plasma TV. What????

Our kids have it soooo easy. Well 2 out of the 3 got a big NO CAVITIES cheer. And my sweet sweet crooked tooth boy Noah. Has 1 maybe 2. Last time he had 3 so a little better. We have to go get it/them filled today. They won't know about the other until they are working on the first. He got my overbite and Dave cavitiy prone teeth. I don't know where the crooked came from. It's his own I guess.

I still get a little nervous to go to the dentist, my kids...They love it. They think it's great. Noah isn't nervous at all. He's excited to get Happy Gas. He calls it Giggle Gas because that's what it makes him do.

I guess it's good that going to the dentist is a good experience for them. But is it making them a little soft for when they become and adult and don't have those wonderful distractions? Hmmmmm......

Next time we'll get a big round of NO CAVITIES!!! for all four.

1 comment:

  1. I went to Dr. Alder as a kid and loved him. My dad still flies back from Kuwait to see him. I think the right dentist makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete