Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The squeaky wheel gets the grease

When Noah turned 8 he joined cub scouts. It was a very crazy year of figuring out what to do. He loved being in scouts and was able to earn his bobcat and wolf badges. He had a an awesome scout leader. I was terribly sad when he moved up to the next stage of bear when he turned 9.

That experience wasn't as great. At least not for me. Noah loved it. He jumped on a trampoline and ate snacks. What's not to love. Anyway I had a harder time with his most current ongoing scout experience.

If you don't know me, I will tell you that I am opinionated, difficult, and sometimes downright mean. If I need to be and sometimes if I don't. Well I had a few concerns about how the bears were being run. I didn't like the time. I didn't like that it was held at a home instead of at the church with the other scouts. I didn't like that my son had to walk thru a gate and I couldn't drop him off at the house. I'm a little protective. On somethings. Well I tried to address these issues in a manner that I felt was respectful. Did anything happen? With scouts no. With me I found my inner opinionated, difficult, mean self rise to the surface. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't necessarily good. Although if it is affecting my child and his safety then I am right.

Right?

Agree with me here. Anyway I finally stopped sending Noah to scouts. I didn't want him to miss out on creating friendships with the other kids his age, but I also wasn't happy about how the program was working. So I went to the top. I sent an email voicing my concerns. That's ok. It's better to do that than explode and create a bigger rift. So they decided to make some changes. I had a few people tell me it was email that made the change. Truthfully not sure if I want the credit for it or not.

They released the old leader and Noah's wolf leader who is so great took on the wolves and the bears. What a great lady. For a month she has been doing both. Finally she was at her wits end and said find somebody already.

They did. They got the grease. I am the grease.

I am Noah's new den leader. I am head bear!!! Watch out. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I am excited to be able to spend this time with Noah, since we were doing it anyway. I hope it will be a relationship builder and bring my sweet son and myself even closer together. I also get to wear a rockin' scout shirt too.

1 comment:

  1. ha ha ha ha! You should know that the coolest women I've ever known have all been scout leaders.

    Go mama bear!

    ReplyDelete