Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!!

This week of Thanksgiving started out with the kids being very thankful....





Thankful for SNOW!!! We got the first snow of the season followed by a serious arctic blast. Here are the kids out playing in the snow. You can't have enough angels or snow angels. The boys having a snow ball fight. Looks like fun.


One of the best things that our house has is an outdoor fireplace. Perfect for drying off and warming up before coming into the house. The kids enjoyed a nice hot chocolate in front of the fire. Yummmmm.

The next few days were full of grocery shopping and getting things ready for Thanksgiving Day. We started getting ready for our cousins to come visit and writing out our lists and getting our recipes ready for the feast.



This was going to be my first year putting on the dinner by myself. I've always had my mom to help. Or I was the helper. So I made my list and checked it twice, and then a third time, a fourth and quite possibly a fifth. I thought I had it all worked out.



And then...........



The turkeys started to arrive. Yep plural. I had already ordered a smoked turkey because our numbers were going to be 34. Yes that is 34 people. I didn't seem like too many at the time. Still doesn't but it does seem a bit crazy for a first solo Thanksgiving dinner. So Dave calls and tells me that a smoked turkey had been delivered to his office. That was nice and a help so I only needed to roast one turkey since I now had 2 smoked turkeys. The next day Dave called laughing and said another smoked turkey had arrived at his office. What??? Ok so maybe I'll just get a small turkey to roast. So I went and decided to get couple of whole turkey breast since most people don't like the dark meat and I already had 3 smoked turkeys. I had put the turkeys in the fridge to thaw when, NO JOKE, Dave calls again to inform me another smoked turkey had been delivered to his office. So now I have 4 smoked turkeys and 2 whole turkey breasts. I don't know why I was worried about how much turkey to have. There was plenty.



We gave one smoked turkey away. I mean really 4 smoked turkeys is a little excessive. Then we found out our Utah family would not be coming because of the weather. So that was 8 people less. Only 28 instead. So we put one of the breasts back in the freezer since it hadn't thawed yet and we'll enjoy it for Christmas.



As the day approached we got the house ready, the Quists and kids helped arrange the tables and set them, Noah and Kinley helped peel potatoes and we got fixing the food. Our menu consisted of cranberries, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, peas, corn, green bean casserole, watergate salad, yams or sweet potatoes (it's still in debate), delicious rolls (thanks Jenny) and of course TURKEY!!!



We also had a dessert menu: Pumpkin pie (of course), apple pie, pumpkin cookies, chocolate fluff, it was all delicious. I'm actually looking forward to some apple pie for breakfast. MMMMMM Yummy.



So the best part of thanksgiving is being together as family and friends. It was a wonderful afternoon.



Dave's sister Joy and his cousin Joannah. Family makes it fun.


Uncle Paul with his nieces and nephew, and his daughter. This is the attention you get if you're holding the iPad.

Me taking a break and Channing in a food coma. That or he's trying to decide what dessert to have next.

Is it Blue Steel? Nope just making duck lips.



This is Dave showing you what a forehead looks like before botox. Of course Joy's is the after. Still don't think I want to pay to have toxins injected into my face. But on the other hand she does look fabulous.


Jenny not sure about getting her picture taken and baby Avery all tuckered out. First thanksgivings are hard on a baby.
So we had wonderful friends come and share in our thanksgiving as well, because you just can't have too many people, food or fun. It has been a great time of seeing little cousins play and just hanging out. Of course everytime we start a movie I fall asleep. I am very lucky I haven't fallen asleep now typing this.
I am thankful for my family, friends and all my blessings. I love them all so much and am grateful to count them and you among my friends. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. We sure did.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a great time. And really, 4 turkeys if funny! :)

    ReplyDelete