Tuesday, October 26, 2010

sleepless nights

I have never enjoyed being alone. It is always hard for me. I like people around. Even as a teenager I'd have friends come spend the night because I just am no good at being alone. So I figure having kids is having people around. I should be able to sleep.

Yeah it doesn't seem to work that way.

They are the ones who keep waking me up. Since Dave's been away on his trip Sydney has come in two nights. I was so tired I let her in the bed. I never do that. Then last night Abigail screamed bloody murder until I brought her in. Her reason for being upset? Her arm fell asleep.

Well I start the kids out on Dave's side of the bed. They slowy keep inching closer until in my early stages of dozing I get a foot to the kidney. Ouch. So I push them back over a little further than before. Back to sleep..... I can hear there breathing change. They have to be asleep.

NO they are not.

They are now coming at me with a jab to the neck. Those little elbows are sharp. And I get a "hi mom". Ok at this point I tell them they have to go to sleep or back to their own bed. I get an "ok mom". And a little bit of fake snoring. This time I don't push them away because I don't want a startling punch in the night.

So when I finally do wake up, that is if I get back to sleep I find myself spooning with my two year old. I don't think that kid could get any closer to me. I can't roll over because i would literally crush her. My back is all sweaty because she is now suctioned to it.

So I think next time she wakes up I will just keep her in her bed and rub her back until she falls back asleep. I'm thinking this plan will at least get me longer spurts of sleep.

The joys of being a parent make up for the not so fun moments. But really it isn't all that bad when your little one is sleeping snuggled up to you. That doesn't continue after a while. They get big and embarrassed of you. I will count my blessings and name them one by one. Noah, Jacob, Sydney, and Abigail.

Love you kids, but I don't want you in my bed anymore. You are like little alligators. Rolling around.

No comments:

Post a Comment